September 19, 2020

Best Buddies 2020 Challenge: Stage 9

Best Buddies celebrated 25 years in 2014, and I followed my west coast century in September with an east coast century in October. Given the chillier weather (and a memorable mishap), evidently I didn't get a photo featuring the jersey that day. But there I am at the start, with the Washington Monument in the background. My vest, arm warmers, and knee warmers from the September event were just what I needed in D.C.

Eager to ride—anywhere—my chief biking buddy suggested we revisit the neighborhood we explored on my first foray of the pandemic era. With more temperate weather, I expected we could make it to Almaden Reservoir this time.

My plan was to turn back at Hicks Road (not ready to climb that beast, today); but I was curious to know where Alamitos Road actually ended. I was emboldened after watching another woman continue past Hicks, and my ride buddy agreed to explore. When we caught up to her, I'm afraid I startled that woman when I asked how far the road went. “About a mile,” she assured us; a nice ride up the canyon before the pavement would give way to dirt. Although she (and a few others) plowed on ahead, we turned around at an “Authorized Personnel Only” sign.

An artist has been busy in the tiny community of New Almaden, where the posted speed limit is 25 mph. Want to bet they're having trouble with speeding drivers passing through . . . on their way to spin donuts on Hicks, perhaps? Distinctive red-white-and-black signs were everywhere.

“Let's walk onto the dam,” I suggested (having noticed that this was possible). We were surprised to find a plaque mounted there, informing us that the dam was constructed in 1935 and the reservoir holds up to 2000 acre feet of water. Most of the plaque was reserved for the names of the Board of Directors, along with the engineers and two attorneys.

We covered essentially the same distance as we did in May, but with less elevation gain (having skipped the prelude segment): 33 miles, 935 feet of climbing. We could see streaks of smoke in the distance; by the time we were done, the nearby hills were hazy and the aroma of wood smoke was creeping in. I sensed another pause was imminent for my Best Buddies 2020 Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment