September 18, 2020

Best Buddies 2020 Challenge: Stage 8

Where should I ride tonight? That was the question. After-work neighborhood rides have proven more treacherous than I'd expected. The forecast suggests a smoky weekend. It's time for more of a workout.

There is a different sort of risk on the back roads, in the evening: deer. Three, tonight; looked like a doe with two youngsters. One scampered out of my lane and up the hillside, while the other two eyed me from the edge of the road. “Hi, sweetie,” I called out gently. “I'm not gonna bother you. Be careful!” They stood still. (I saw them again, on the way back.)

I haven't biked this route after work, alone, before. And I probably won't again. There were fewer cyclists than I'd hoped. And there were some sketchy-looking dudes hanging out, not far from one of the wider patches of road that attract circular skid marks. I kept an eye on my rear-view mirror and picked up my pace after I passed them. [Woman. Cycling. Alone.]

Today's stage celebrated my eighth century ride for Best Buddies.

I got the workout I needed (sore legs!), with an average heart rate of 140 bpm to climb 1,245 feet over 16 miles (10.9 mph). Unfortunately the air quality was deteriorating, leading to an unpleasant fit of coughing when I got home. Thus confirming my hunch, ’tis better not to cycle when the air quality is rated “moderate” (yellow).

No comments:

Post a Comment