September 22, 2020

Best Buddies 2020 Challenge: Stage 10

As you've seen by now, I'm not very creative when it comes to posing for photos. At the Best Buddies finish line in San Simeon in 2015, I had some coaching.

When I mentioned last week that I was limited to after-work rides, I know what you were thinking: Morning rides. [Duh.] Sadly, I am not a Morning Person.

Most [un]fortunately, I woke up at some ridiculous hour today (like, 2:45 a.m.) and was Alert. Awake. Tried all the tricks: relax all muscles, take slow deep breaths. Nada. I pretended I was asleep until a more hospitable hour (like, 5:00 a.m.). Plenty of time for a morning ride, once we had some daylight. My first meeting wasn't till 9:30 a.m. And the air was . . . clean?!

It's Bike to Work Week in the Bay Area (re-scheduled from its traditional May date). So I decided to bike to work. But wait, you're thinking: You're still working from home. [Right you are!] I set off on my normal commute route, at the normal time. I pictured where I would make the turn to finish the trip at my current workplace. [Aka, home.]

But then I thought, why not go a bit farther? Make the turn at the 45-minute mark, have enough time for a suitable photo, and still get home in time to get cleaned up before my meeting.

Ah, but wouldn't it be fitting to bike even farther, technically into the town where my lonely desk sits in a deserted office building. After all, I could attend the meeting in my sweaty bike kit; that would make no difference to my remote colleagues. [And, truth be told, in days gone by I have attended a meeting at the office in my cycling attire. At least once.]

Ride highlight #1: A red-shouldered hawk at eye level, perched on a fence! Ride highlight #2: Posing with a cyclist on a penny farthing. [They're already setting up the holiday lights in the local park.] Lowlight: Testing my panic-stop skills when an utterly clueless cyclist cut me off.

At a brisk (for me) pace of 12.9 mph, I covered 25 miles with 680 feet of climbing (rather more than the regular tally for my morning commute). And I had just enough time to enjoy a second cup of tea and a scone before connecting with my colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment