September 16, 2020

Best Buddies 2020 Challenge: Stage 6

Conditions were spectacular for my sixth Best Buddies Hearst Castle Challenge.

When I designed my challenge for 2020, my plan was to ride every day, without any rest days, wearing my event jerseys in order (from my first ride in 2007, to the most recent ride in 2019). My original plan was to finish the series on September 12, which is when this year's event would have taken place.

Then came the storm, and the fires, and the smoke. The air quality was low and the temperatures were high. I delayed the start of the challenge by one week.

Stage 6 was planned for September 10. Despite the previous day's long ride, I was game.

Until I stepped outside. There was a dusting of fine ash on my trash bin, and the distinctive aroma of wood smoke in the air. Just like this headline: Yesterday the air quality looked bad, today it actually is bad. I kept an eye on the local sensor readings and hoped we'd get some wind from a favorable direction. The following day, conditions worsened.

No wind. Very unhealthy air. Thus began an unexpected, multi-day pause to my Best Buddies 2020 Challenge.

If this year's event had not already been canceled, it would have been thrown into disarray: Highway 1 was closed, from Big Sur to Ragged Point, due to the Dolan fire (burning since August 18). Of course, whether I can ride my bike on any given day is truly insignificant, in context.

Blue skies at last, though we still can't see the mountains through the haze. Back to work this week, my best option is an after-work ride. I puttered around some neighborhoods, coming to an abrupt full stop when one SUV driver suddenly stopped in the lane ahead of me, cut left (making a U-turn?), then straightened out and proceeded to back into his driveway. When he glanced to his left to find me (in the bike lane) staring him down, he looked surprised ... but also like he didn't particularly give a damn.

This is the view we couldn't see a few days ago (September 8). And yes, that is a thin stream of yellow-orange smoke above the ridge. Wrapped up Stage 6 with 14 miles, 220 feet of climbing, at a conservative 10.1 mph pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment