September 7, 2020

Best Buddies 2020 Challenge: Stage 3

There was a distinctly yellow cast to the light when I woke up, so I wasn't surprised when I checked the air quality map. Smoke affects the wavelength of the sun's rays. Simply put, yellow means “not good,” orange means “pick another day,” and red means “don't even think about it.” Not unlike the colors on the map.

Local sensors painted a better picture than the official map. The sky was a pale blue, with the ubiquitous  purple haze of the smoke layer hanging just above ground level in every direction. I mapped out a meandering route through some unfamiliar residential neighborhoods, including a little bridge over a (completely dry) creek.

This jersey makes me smile. It makes other people smile (and wave), too. What's not to like about two cuddling teddy bears? [Well, I'll bet this design was not at all popular with the competitive male cyclists back in 2009.] After 2008's baggy “small,” I'd requested “extra small,” which was a good fit ... except for the sleeves. Toothpick arms needed. [Thee years, three different vendors.]

I was in prime shape for my third Best Buddies Hearst Castle Challenge, averaging 14.3 mph despite climbing almost 6,300 feet. Today I was feeling less than great, with a slight but lingering headache. Could it be that I was (somewhat) dehydrated? For short rides, I don't fuss with electrolytes, but I should have mixed some up for Saturday's ride; today I did, and it helped.

Stage 3: 14.2 miles, 300 feet of climbing, average speed 10.6 mph. [Trying not to inhale, much.]

No comments:

Post a Comment