August 17, 2024

Picture Perfect

My first trip to the top of Mt. Hamilton by bicycle was in October, 2003 (on a recumbent tandem), followed by a repeat in 2004. My first solo trip was in 2005; the group started just above Joseph Grant County Park (midway) and biked out and back on Kincaid Road as well. After that, I pedaled to the top every year (mostly recorded here), from the bottom ... until last year. I was deterred by road closures, and later wasn't confident I was fit enough to make it to the top.
I wasn't so sure today, either. Then I thought about Remco Evenepoel visualizing victory at the Olympic road race in Paris two weeks ago, imagining what an iconic image it would make to cross the finish line solo at the Eiffel Tower. Then, he did it.
I planted an image in my head, standing in front of the main entrance at Lick Observatory atop Mt. Hamilton.
Much to my surprise, a good friend had driven up to meet me at the top—not only snapping photos, but bringing lunch!

I expected to see more cyclists on such a beautiful day.

Not my fastest time up the hill, but not my slowest either! On the way up, I'd thought about pausing for a quick snack, with a particular tree-shaded overlook in mind. Not finding it, I just kept going. On the way down, I saw why: Only a low stump remains, a casualty of the fire in 2020.

A couple of miles from the bottom, I caught up to a vehicle and slowed to keep a safe distance between us. With a bike rack on the rear (empty), the driver understood that I could outpace him and graciously waved me to pass when it was clear.

I'll be back. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment