August 13, 2024

A True Test

There were two ways to get a look at the recently-burned section of Almaden Quicksilver Park from Hicks Road. I chose the route less traveled.
The visible burn scar was open land, probably mostly grass; the nearby trees and shrubs appeared to have been spared. No official cause has been given, but nearby residents reported hearing fireworks that night.

Realizing that I need to spend more time on a road bike, and curious to test my new lower gears, I had decided to tackle the “easier” side of Hicks Road. [Which is not actually easy.] I told myself I could always abandon the climb and retrace my route, downhill, to return home.

Of course, I wouldn't surrender. I also wasn't strong enough to pedal up the steep section, even with more climbing-friendly gearing. [I walked.] A passing cyclist asked if I was okay. “Yes,” I replied. “For some definition of okay.”

Descending the steeper side was fast (and twisty); I was relieved when the familiar hairpin at Guadalupe Creek was in view. The rest of the ride would be tame.

Until I spotted a deer at the side of the road. Where there is one, there are often more. [Three, in this case.]

When you stop for a closer look, or to snap a picture, they typically flee. [Not these three.]

I opted for the flat route home, completing 29 miles with some 1,600 feet of elevation gain. Will I try that climb again? (Maybe.)

Or maybe not?

No comments:

Post a Comment