August 5, 2024

A Walk in a Park

It's been quite a while since I visited Alum Rock Park—in part, due to storm-related closures. Today's route was similar to the one we trekked in 2022 during my “summer vacation.”
The (open) trails were passable ... though we found some tricky bits where loose soil tumbles onto trails. There will certainly be more sliding when wet weather returns.

Hikers (and cyclists) yield to horses. Always.

There were historic elements of this park that I failed to notice on my last visit. This land has been a public park for quite some time (more than 150 years).
Puzzled by some of the features, one of my fellow hikers explained that the park's mineral springs were an attraction in the park's early days. And as soon as she shared that, I connected a distinct odor of sulphur with those mineral stains.
Zigzagging up the South Rim Trail, we crossed paths with a gentleman who told us (unsolicited) exactly how many more switchbacks we'd traverse before reaching the top. [Five.]

There was little color to be found this far into the dry season. One hopeful California fuchsia, budding and blazing red, stood out.

We covered about 5.7 miles, some laden with heavy packs as they prepare for a multi-day backpacking adventure. [Not I.]

No comments:

Post a Comment