May 19, 2024

So Many Berries!

I've done this ride many times (ten, counting today), and I've always crossed paths with someone I know. [Not today.]

Parking was a cinch. The big lot was more than half empty.

It was a chilly ride. After all these years, I finally opted for a cup of minestrone soup at the first rest stop. [Warm, and tasty!]

I was surprised to hear the sound of crashing waves. [I guess the sea has more often been calm.]
I've always gotten up the steep hill on Maher Road before lunch (12% grade). [“Not today,” said my legs.] Clearly I haven't done enough climbing this season. Was I ill-prepared for this ride? I felt tired. I was short on sleep; or was I simply low on fuel? [Maybe both.]
We passed fields of lettuce, artichokes, strawberries (of course), and many other crops.

The lunch tables were mostly empty. As I rolled out, other 100k riders were still arriving. The sun finally started to break through after lunch, and when I stopped for this photo two other riders realized it was a good shot and followed my lead.

At Gizdich Ranch, there was no need to hunt for a spot to park my bike or a place to sit with my slice of pie. I noticed that the bike mechanic was idle; why not ask if he'd take a look at my bike? It hasn't been shifting properly since the derailleur's pulley wheels were replaced. He was delighted to help me, and his adjustment resolved the issue. [Thank you, Bicycle Trip!]

I've always done most of the route with others in sight. [Not today.] Climbing through the redwoods on Hazel Dell, I saw one other cyclist headed in the same direction—and that was true for most of the remaining 10 miles.

It was puzzling. Had I started later than usual? [No.] Early on, I was passed by a few riders, and passed others in turn. Later? Not so much.

Being a bit slower than usual, I finished a bit later than usual. [Not by much.] But, still: There were so few people at the finish. Did they skip the meal (not to mention the eponymous berries, served with chocolate ganache and a dab of whipped cream)?

Maybe this year's steep increase in the registration fee dissuaded people from signing up? [The point is, it's a fundraiser.] And costs keep rising: permits, insurance, food—you name it.

I like this ride: all the friendly volunteers, the live music at every stop, the scenery, the strawberries. If there's a 34th edition in 2025, I expect to return for another 63 miles through the countryside.

Next year, I'll be prepared to pedal up that wicked hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment