June 18, 2015

Furkapass


View to the east of the road climbing up the Furkapass near Realp, Switzerland
The group splintered today.

Road and snow-streaked mountains approaching the Furkapass from the east, Switzerland
One choice was to get a ride to the top of the first climb. [Unthinkable.]

Snow-streaked rock walls along the road to the Furkapass from the east, Switzerland
Another choice was to go the distance. [Perhaps a bit much, at my pace.]

Red Swiss train crossing along the valley floor near Hospental, Switzerland
The route included some flat meandering through a valley, book-ended by challenging climbs. I studied the map and the train schedule, and hatched a plan. About halfway along the route, I would hop on a train and cut out some 30 miles, disembarking in the town at the base of the climb to our hotel.

pep and bicycle at the summit of the Furkapass, alongside snow banks, Switzerland
I was on my own, for a lovely, leisurely, long climb up to the summit of the Furkapass, which tops out at 7,976 feet.

Waterfall near the road to the Furkapass, Switzerland
I could stop whenever I wanted.

Gentian flowers along the road to the Furkapass, approaching from the east, Switzerland
I could stop wherever I wanted.

Bicycle parked against a snowbank near the summit of the Furkapass, eastern side, Switzerland
I could stop as often as I wanted.

View of the hairpins on the road descending the western side of the Furkapass, Switzerland
(And I did.)

Rhône river flowing through the valley, descending western side of the Furkapass, Switzerland
But I did need to keep making forward progress.

View of the hairpins on the western side of the Furkapass from below, Switzerland
I was banking on making good time on the descent.

Stopped for a train crossing the road, near Niederwald, Switzerland
The train from Fiesch to Leuk was not direct, but I managed to do the right thing. When I saw a horde of children and bicycles waiting for the connecting train, I made a dash for a less populated bike car.

pep's bike suspended in a bike car on a Swiss train.
I was starting to roll out of the station when ... was that someone calling my name? Yes! There were two of the riders from our group, waiting for a lift to the top. It was ambiguous whether that would be by bus or our host's car and trailer, but I was having none of that.

View of Leuk from the climb to Leukerbad, Switzerland
There were more surprises in store. First, one of the riders decided to join me, having regretted that he'd bailed on the Oberalppass. Second, the route went steeply up the hill at the start. And I do mean steeply. Luckily, it mellowed out after that. Third, I wasn't expecting a 10-mile climb (but that's what it was). Clearly I didn't study the route profile.

The climb must be popular with the locals. A strong cyclist caught me on the outskirts of Leukerbad, offering a friendly Ciao! Rain started coming down hard (surprise number four), and he turned back.

Raindops on bike computer, 2,320 ft. of ascent; 2 hours, 10 minutes, 23 seconds of time; heart rate 121 bpm.
Rather a lot of cycling today. The first part of my journey was 39 miles, with some 3,583 feet of climbing; the second climb, 10 miles and 2,320 feet. In other words, 49 miles and more than 5,900 feet of climbing.

I found the hotel. Most importantly, I made it to the dinner table on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment