June 20, 2015

AlpRundweg Leiterli / Simmenfälle

Everybody was ready for a rest day. Which, of course, means: Let's go hiking!

View of Lenk from the Lenk - Stoss gondola, Lenk, Switzerland
With summertime passes for the ski gondolas, we headed for the top of the mountain. I was so distracted by the world around me that I was halfway through our hike before I remembered to start recording a track; and later, I was already heading down on the gondola when I remembered to stop recording.

AlpRundweg Leiterli trail through meadow, with mountain roses and nearby peaks, Lenk, Switzerland
As if the wildflowers and mountain peaks were not enough, a few added features brought smiles.

Patches of snow on nearby cliffs, AlpRundweg Leiterli trail, Lenk, Switzerland
On a lift tower near the top, strikers were mounted to play a tune whenever cowbells (attached to the cable) came by. [Clever.]

White and yellow wildflowers in a meadow along the AlpRundweg Leiterli trail, with snow-streaked mountains, Lenk, Switzerland
Hand-carved posts were placed at intervals along the AlpRundweg Leiterli trail, each depicting a local activity and telling a story.

Carved post along the AlpRundweg Leiterli trail, Lenk, Switzerland
After lunch, and (you guessed it) another lovely pastry, I wandered about Lenk. If I'd had a plan, it wouldn't have included retiring to my hotel room.

River Simme flowing toward Lenk, Switzerland.
The River Simme runs through town, with a wanderweg alongside. I started walking upstream, toward the mountains. A trail sign pointed toward Simmenfälle, which I recognized would be a waterfall. With an eye on the time, I kept hiking. As with many trail signs here, no distance was given.

Fast-flowing River Simme, heading upstream toward the mountains, Lenk, Switzerland
I followed a Helsana trail, sometimes crossing the river, noting landmarks to guide my return trip. One kilometer from the falls, a sign finally revealed the distance.

View of the Simmenfälle between the trees, mountain peak in the distance, near Lenk, Switzerland
I know it's the age of the selfie (and the obnoxious “selfie stick”), but I'm of the generation that would rather engage with my fellow humans. “Would you like a photo, together?” I asked. [Of course!] Mom, dad, toddler, and the dog in front of the waterfall. In exchange, the family happily returned the favor.

pep at the Simmenfälle, near Lenk, Switzerland
My afternoon hike was longer than the morning's, some six miles along the river. With time to appreciate the wildflowers, I returned in time for dinner.

Tall stalk with yellow wildflowers on the banks of the River Simme, Lenk, Switzerland

No comments:

Post a Comment