June 16, 2012

Shade and Solitude

Mother Nature turned off the air conditioning today and the Bay Area baked. Flags told the story: the wind was blowing the wrong way—from the hills toward the sea. The high temperature was just under 103F at my house (in the shade).

What better day to head for a state park? California's oldest state park, in fact: Big Basin Redwoods. And, since a Spare the Air alert was in effect, we rode our bicycles to the park. Of course, there were the usual warnings about not exercising in the heat, so we were careful to wear light colors and drink plenty of fluids, and took a somewhat shorter route than originally planned (53 miles, 5,525 feet of climbing, for me).

Did I mention that it was hot?

I weathered it surprisingly well. My bike computer registered an average temperature of 91F. We had the redwoods and oaks to thank for some shade along much of the route, but waves of heat radiated off exposed cliffs (and the road surface). It was hot enough to make the tar snakes sticky; the first time I hear the buzz of my tires on those, it always gives me pause.

Off the back of the group, I did not appreciate how much I cherished the silence of the forest until we came back together at the bustling center of the park. Loud, annoying people. Shrieking, whining children. I ate quickly, wandered off to admire an enormous redwood, and got a head start on the return climb (eager for peace and quiet). I do prefer to hike this park from the coast.

It was a good ride, albeit slow. I did not feel tired, or sore. I did feel hungry and regretted not bringing more food, but never bonked. Climbing back up Highway 9 on the return from the park, I passed a serious cyclist (look at those wheels!) who was stopped at the side of the road. He must have been hurting, but said he didn't need anything. He never caught or passed me—and there was plenty of time for that, at my pace.

Did the heat make me crankier than usual? [Sounds like a good excuse to me.] Probably not as cranky as the folks who hoped Highway 9 would be a faster route to the coast than Highway 17 today (especially those in the cars that overheated and broke down). Traffic signals control access to two one-lane construction zones on the hill. There was little traffic when we climbed up this morning, but in the afternoon there was a solid one-mile line of cars waiting for their turn at the lower traffic light. This was not surprising, with the light cycling so rapidly that only four or five cars could get through. Even at my pace, I believe it would have been quicker to bike than drive, at that point. Or, to have taken Highway 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment