June 12, 2012

Giving Back

Once a year, my employer sponsors a week of global community service. Each employee has the opportunity to pick a project and spend part of a day working in the community instead of the office. The projects are diverse; rather than choosing something related to technology, I gravitate toward Something Completely Different.

The first year, I joined a large group helping out at Sunnyvale's Full Circle Farm. This being Silicon Valley, we had no shortage of ambitious engineers. The group that tackled the irrigation task quickly optimized the trenching and laying of pipes; the rest of us mulched seedlings and planted corn (by hand). We did a month's worth of work in half a day.

The projects expose us to new local places and services. In later years, I weeded and mulched at Overfelt Gardens and cleaned cat housing at the Humane Society.

This year I felt it was time to turn it up a notch and lead a project, and I had an organization in mind: the Youth Science Institute. My colleagues made it easy for me: I had a full team (and a waiting list) as soon as we opened registration.

Students will show up next week for YSI's summer camps; our mission was to clear the grounds of weeds and (of course) spread some mulch around. I felt discouraged as we surveyed the area; weeds have a way of making a place look shabby, and I thought we could make good progress today—but not complete the job.

"We get a field trip, too!" exclaimed one volunteer, as we started with a short tour of the facility and learned about YSI. Then, we set to work.

It is easy to lose track of the time, outdoors. How many afternoons have I spent in my own yard, thinking I would work outside for an hour? Taking a break to rehydrate, I checked the time—only an hour and a quarter had passed? It wasn't even close to noon.

I underestimated the enthusiasm of my hard-working volunteers. We ran out of weeds before we ran out of time, and moved on to spreading mulch and relocating picnic tables for the upcoming campers.

The first time I saw acres upon acres of strawberries along the California coast, with the ripe fruit being pulled by the hands of a dozen or so workers, I had a new respect for the food on my plate. Tired and sweaty, dirty and sore, we had much to be grateful for today: we helped a deserving local institution, we work for a generous and thoughtful employer, and we normally get to exercise our brains at work and our bodies at play.

Did I book an afternoon nap on our calendars?

No comments:

Post a Comment