September 26, 2024

On the Road Again

Late last year, browsing the website of one of the bicycle clubs in our region, I read an article about a multi-day cycling event that has been held annually for 26 years. Twenty-six years, and I'd never heard of it until then?
Here we are at 6:00 a.m., loading bikes into trucks, and cyclists and their bags onto a bus. This year's cadre was disciplined; the organizers were delighted that the bus actually pulled out more than 15 minutes ahead of schedule. Destination: Healdsburg.

We stretched our legs at the rest stop just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. I hoped that we'd have a view when we cross it on our bikes, tomorrow. But you never know.

We were so busy chatting on the bus that I was puzzled when we pulled off the freeway. Suddenly, it seemed, we were in Healdsburg.

After a group photo and a few verses of On the Road Again, we were on our way. I started with a small group of women (who pulled ahead within the first mile). I've never been a speedy rider. The day was warm, and with two more (hilly) riding days ahead, I also needed to pace myself.

Our lunch stop was hosted at a participant's cabin along the Russian River. [Top that!]
Our route followed many Sonoma County roads familiar to me from rides gone by: Waves to Wine, club rides, Best Buddies, Wine Country Centuries, and more.

Memorable moments: A truck hauling junk (uncovered) passed me early on; I hung back, imagining the oddity of being flattened by a flying mattress. Unsurprisingly, a big boy in his big pickup truck found it necessary to blast us with clouds of sooty exhaust on a rural road. Had we put it to a vote, the one-mile stretch along Barlow Lane would come out on top as the worst road surface. Ever, according to some. Struggling to shift gears at one point, I glanced down at my rear wheel and discovered that a small branch had hitched a ride in line with my chain. [That's a first.]

When we reached Roblar Road, I knew Rohnert Park (and our hotel) was near. Of course, we had followed a scenic route to get there: 53 miles and some 2,800 feet of climbing. Somehow, I managed to roll in with a small group—headed by the guy who'd led the training ride I'd joined a few months ago.

Tomorrow will be a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment