September 27, 2024

Missing the Middle in Marin

The organizers have a check-in protocol to assure that no one is left behind; I wasn't the last one to roll out, but I should have gotten an earlier start. Breakfast was officially available at 6:30 a.m.
I was amused when one of the words I formed in the NY Times Spelling Bee game this morning was R-O-T-A-R-Y. The Santa Cruz Sunrise Rotary Club has been hosting this event for some time (2024 is the 27th edition), and it wouldn't surprise me if they had a connection to pull that off.

If I could have afforded the time to stop for photos, I would have captured the mist rising above a field in the early morning light. And a perfect shadow of me on the bike, cast by the rising sun.

A large group stopped for a photo when the northern wetlands of Tomales Bay came into view, so I pulled over and played photographer for them. I'd been leapfrogging them for a few miles, and they suggested I join them. “I can't keep up, I need to ride at my own pace,” I explained. “Well, you seem to be keeping up just fine!” they said. [Only because I was faster going downhill.]

Soon enough the terrain flattened out, I lost my advantage, and they were ... gone. An hour later, I needed a break (and Tomales Bay was stunning).

The farther south I rode, the more concerned I became that I'd missed the official rest stop. I passed the “usual” spots (from past experience with rides along this road). Mile 23? Or mile 27? I pulled out my route sheet: Mile 31.

Shortly thereafter, the road turned east and the climb ramped up. The day was already warmer than I'd expected. I passed a SAG vehicle that had pulled over. “I'm not stalking you,” he joked. And then I knew: I was the last rider on the road. Sausalito (our lunch stop) was on the other side of Marin County, 30 (hilly) miles away. I'd noticed an odd little tent in the field at the rest stop. Not being a camper, it later dawned on me that it was probably a pop-up privacy potty.

When I next met the SAG truck, I pulled over. I really wanted to ride the post-lunch segment, from Sausalito to Pacifica, and I decided that wasn't realistic unless I skipped ahead. [Sigh.] We slowly cruised to Sausalito, stopping to check on or pick up other cyclists. I enjoyed both our conversations and the airconditioning, and really looked forward to reaching a restroom. With about 2,000 feet of elevation gain, I'd averaged 12.2 mph over those first 33.6 miles, which was pretty typical for me.

I saw a few familiar faces at lunch, just before they took off. I didn't linger, determined not to be last on the road.

It had been many years since I'd biked over the Golden Gate Bridge. Even on a weekday, outside of tourist season, it was busy—and now many visitors are on rented ebikes. Unlike yesterday, we had clear views.

The blind turns around the towers are always dicey, with pedestrians and cyclists traveling in both directions. I walked around the busier south tower and tucked out of the way for a photo. A yellow sign warns cyclists about the gusty winds I'd already braved.
Okay. It was worth it.
Our route headed through a ritzy neighborhood into Lands End and past the Legion of Honor before continuing south on the Great Highway. When people had mentioned the steep climb to the water tower in Daly City, I knew exactly where we would be. I've pedaled up that street from the other direction, and I can tell you that side is tougher. (The steepest part of today's route was on Alexander Avenue in Sausalito—climbing up to the bridge.)
Not being familiar with the area, I hadn't realized how close I was to the end of today's route in Pacifica (less than six miles). I covered about 22 miles on the second half of my ride, climbing some 1,700 feet along the way. My pace was slower, in part because I allowed myself to relax and in part due to the usual challenges crossing the bridge. For the day, about 3,700 feet of elevation gain over 56 miles (shy of the route's full 86 miles and 4,400 feet). It was the right call.
The view from my hotel room and the soothing sounds of the sea were my rewards.

Hopefully I can start pedaling earlier tomorrow, to complete the last leg of this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment