January 11, 2024

A Hopeful Hitchhiker

When the rain was falling again last night around 9 p.m., I fully expected that I would not join my companions for today's outing, having no desire to ride on slick roads.

Much to my surprise, the roads had largely dried by the time I woke up. It was also 34°F. [No excuses. Get dressed!]

Wisely, our leader changed the plan for today's ride, rather than risk slip-sliding across black ice on a frosty back road. [Ice, in the Bay Area? Yes, it happens.]

Luckily I glanced down at the bag on my rear rack before we took off: There was a (rather sluggish) yellowjacket! Perhaps clinging to the dark surface for some warmth? I certainly didn't expect to see one of these out on cold winter morning.

Sorry, I couldn't bring my little friend along for the ride—I'd rather not be stung unexpectedly, especially in the rear. More to the point, I'd simply rather not be stung at all. I coaxed the critter onto a twig and gently relocated it near some plants.

When we reached our coffee stop, I decided that a chocolate croissant fit the bill. It was still warm, the chocolate gooey!

I must say, I'm liking this routine: 29 miles, good conversation, and an indulgent treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment