September 2, 2023

Rules of the Road

Friday night, around 9:30. A crash. Sirens. Paramedics. Teens gathering, two sitting on a curb comforting one another. Teens streaming past on e-bikes.
It's all over social media, one shared. Another said the rider had been pinned under the vehicle. (A large GM model, with evident front-end damage.) Said he'd been riding a Super 73 e-bike (which, if you look it up, resembles a regular motorized dirt bike—not a traditional bicycle). “Minor injuries,” a neighbor later asserted. (Hard to believe, honestly.)

I don't know what happened. Looking at the road markings left by the police who responded, and being familiar with the signals at that intersection, I can hazard a guess.

  • Northbound e-bike rider saw the traffic signal flip from yellow to red.
  • Southbound driver, waiting to turn left, got the green arrow and proceeded.
  • E-bike rider assumed the driver also had a red light and chose to run the light, not expecting the vehicle to turn.
  • All road users need to respect the rules of the road. Which requires knowing the rules of the road.

    I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that kids are riding powerful, heavy electric-powered “bicycles,” mixing it up (at speed) with vehicles on the road without the requisite knowledge. I nearly collided with a pair of them recently, myself.

    In my case, I had paused for oncoming traffic before I could make a left turn onto a side street. Two boys, side by side at a stop sign, suddenly pulled out as I initiated my turn. They managed to stop; one nearly toppled over. Would they have done the same on a pedal-powered bicycle? (I doubt it.)

    Regulations won't fix this. Enforcement won't fix this.

    Teach your children. Ride smart.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment