September 11, 2023

Mockingbird Hill

Perhaps it is not unusual that I so often hear mockingbirds when I cruise through Almaden neighborhoods. Seven of us met at an entrance to Almaden Quicksilver County Park that I had not visited until now: Mockingbird Hill. I've often biked past the street that leads to it; I didn't expect such a large parking lot at the trailhead.

Our leader emphasized that we would not be taking the Hacienda Trail. Repeat: We will not be taking the Hacienda Trail. (Evidently it's steep. How steep? I just might have to find out, some other day.)

We made our way to a picnic table in a clearing that looked familiar.
The air was clean and clear, and our route afforded several great vantage points for observing sprawling San José and the Diablo Range across the valley. There were the white domes of Lick Observatory atop Mt. Hamilton; sadly, I have not been up the mountain yet this year. There was a short window of time, between closures for road repairs, when it would have been possible to bike the full distance. I am determined to bike to the top before the weather turns cold, albeit without the lower (closed) section. [Stay tuned.]

Today was a day for hiking, not pedaling. Along the way it's natural for hiking (and conversation) partners to shift around, and I'm enjoying getting to know my pals better. The workout (with views!) was a bonus: 5.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment