June 21, 2023

Pollinator Party

On the lookout for another volunteer gig suitable for sharing with my former teammates, I discovered that the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge was hosting a “weeding party” on a weekday evening at their Alviso location. Not far from the office, that seemed ideal! The idea was to support local pollinators by removing invasive plants from their butterfly native garden.

I spent some time wandering around the marshland before the party started. I realized there were two distinct types of swallow swooping around at high speed; a helpful staff member educated me about the difference between barn swallows (forked tails) and cliff swallows (flat tails).
It was much less challenging to snap a photo of a determined black-necked stilt hunting in the shallows.
Gazing back toward the shore, the Alviso Environmental Education Center building is on the left (though it's presently closed), a landfill (sigh) is on the right, and near the trees in the middle is a small pavilion where (as it turned out) we would be weeding.

Their plans had shifted, but one former colleague and a friend were able to join me. Our assignment was to uproot and remove wild mustard plants, which were in abundance. These invasive plants spread a prodigious amount of seed and develop thick taproots, difficult to pry out of the rock-hard soil even with proper tools. I went hunting for the smaller plants that others overlooked, especially in the cool shade under the trees. I spotted a couple of invasive thistle plants lurking in a tangle of plants next to the pavilion and yanked them out, too.

Working in the refuge after hours, we were privileged to enjoy the early evening light (though, too early for sunset on a summer's evening).

Postscript: We later learned that we removed more than 75 pounds of invasive plants (mostly mustard). Now I can't stop seeing this scourge wherever I ramble around the Bay Area. I find myself tugging them out, or at least breaking off the stems before the flowers set seed. We won't win this battle, but we should carry on the fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment