June 19, 2023

Calero and Conversation

A friend reached out for an easy hike today, and was game to visit Calero County Park when I proposed that. My regular hiking buddies would be there, too, but on a different (more challenging) loop.

What I had in mind was the first section of the hike I'd extended in April; I noted the distance from a couple of turn-back points in case we opted to cut it even shorter.
There was plenty of wildlife to enjoy, from butterflies and birds to a curious pair of deer. Just above us on the slope next to the trail, they were more interested in munching (on poison oak!) than running away.
We followed the Cottle Trail from the Rancho San Vicente entrance, and made it to the farthest point I'd mapped out (the last views of the reservoir before the trail would turn away). Retracing our route, we covered about 6 miles.

It was a glorious day for a hike, and I learned that my hiking companion has a keen eye for spotting tiny creatures—and is patiently willing to indulge this amateur naturalist's curiosity!

No comments:

Post a Comment