June 14, 2023

Deflated

An Amazon van rolled up, taunting me. “That thing you wanted? It's right. In. Here.”

A floor pump? [I think. Not.]

The driver had stopped at the park to take a break and use the restroom.

Tools and bike bits spread around me, I sat in the shade. There was that, at least.

My problem was self-inflicted. It was a warm day, and I really didn't need to inflate my tires close to the rated maximum PSI. Really.

I was enjoying my snack in a shady spot near the hens, when ... Pffft! Parked in the rack, basking in the sunshine, a tube burst. [In the rear tire, of course.]

Luckily just one tube blew, because I don't carry two spares.

It's been a (long) while since I've needed to repair a flat on this bike, away from home. At least I was in a comfortable spot.

Step 1: Let some air out of the tube in the other tire, lest it suffer the same fate.

Repair Attempt 1: Use C02 cartridge. [Fail.] I thought the inflator was compatible with Schrader valves. I guess not.

Attempt 2: Use pump. [Fail.] Clever design, easy to use. If only I could unscrew the cap to pull out the hose.

Fallback Option 1: Phone a friend. [Fail.] Text message. No response.

Option 2: Call AAA? [Likely to be sitting here, waiting, for hours.]

Option 3: Wander through the neighborhood, begging for a floor pump?

Attempt 3: Keep trying to unscrew the cap on the pump. [Yes, I'm the stubborn, self-reliant type.] Success!

After gingerly riding the first three or so miles, my confidence grew that I would make it back home under my own power.

On these tires, 85 PSI should be plenty. Maybe more than enough. [Really.]

Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment