April 17, 2023

Wake Up, Walk Up

On last Monday's hike there was some appetite for tackling the Kennedy Trail today, and I offered to lead. A favorite grueling climb for mountain bikers, on a weekday we'd have the terrain to ourselves.
Then one by one, people recalled prior commitments and declined the the incline. [And we do know the incline: the trail heads prettty much straight up.]

I didn't expect much in the way of wildflowers, but evidently I haven't visited this trail in the spring—until now. A robust cluster of Paintbrush was one of the first sightings.

There were several shrubs with blue flowers along the trail, which I think were some form of “California lilac” (Ceanothus).
These isolated pink blossoms, going to seed, made me think of snapdragons; perhaps spread from a local garden?
And of course, some lovely bush lupine.
Distracted at the start, I didn't start recording my effort until our group of five had started up the hill. The hike is basically about 8 miles and 1,800 feet of climbing, give or take, from the trailhead to the junction with the Priest Rock Trail (and back).

Well acquainted with the steeepness of this trail, and having watched my companions steady themselves with two poles on prior hikes, I decided to invest in a pair. Helpful? Definitely. Upper-body workout? Hello, sore muscles ...

No comments:

Post a Comment