April 6, 2023

Dive Right In

When I woke up this morning, my body was nagging me to take it easy. I decided to wait a while before telling my cycling buddy that I wouldn't ride, in case she'd feel obliged to back out in solidarity. I imagined sitting in a park, reading, while my compatriots cycled in and around San Miguel.
Then I looked at the route profile. The gradient on the big climb (~6 miles) was a whopping 2%, for the most part. Once I started moving around and ate some breakfast, I felt better. It's only 33 miles ...
The vintage warbird wasn't the only surprise of the day.

A “road closed” sign greeted us as we turned onto North River Road. With most of the group ahead of us (ebikes), we stayed the course. Until we met them, returning. Mud, they said. Can't get through, they said.

Many phones were pulled from pockets, alternate routes considered. Most of the group decided to revisit the closure, appealing to any passing pickup truck to carry them across. With almost 30 miles behind us, there was no enthusiasm for the detour I proposed. Three of us followed a rider who was confident about the route he had in mind, until I realized that we were heading south toward Paso Robles (rather than north, toward San Miguel).

After backtracking, our impromptu leader phoned one of the riders ahead. It was possible to cross, maybe even to ride; her shoes got wet.

There was no mud, simply the Estrella River crossing the road at a dip engineered for that purpose. Off with the shoes and socks, I was the first to wade across. The current was manageable, the textured concrete surface not slippery, and my lightweight bicycle easy to carry. At the far end, I pulled out a bandana and dried my feet. (I'd always figured it might come in handy, one day.)
Meanwhile, several SUVs nonchalantly drove right through—as did a bunch of guys on motorcycles. (We reassured them it wasn't slippery.)

In the end, that 33-mile ride turned into a 40 mile ride, with about 1,700 feet of climbing. I was glad I didn't sit this one out! Recovery day tomorrow, for sure ...

No comments:

Post a Comment