July 18, 2022

The Road Ahead

Today we biked. We headed for Old Creek Road, which I last climbed in 2018. There would be ample opportunity to enjoy the scenery and take photos this time, as we were not hewing to a schedule.
I added a new Aermotor to my collection—this one with Morro Rock barely visible in the background.
We didn't expect to ride into the mist; we left clear skies behind us. There was a storm brewing to the south, and we later heard that there had even been a touch of rain in Morro Bay. (We stayed dry.)
We paused near the waterfront in Cayucos before making our way to Old Creek Road.
The ghost bike was still there, though now hoisted overhead with a bittersweet message (“HOME”) on an arrow pointing to the sky. Looks like it needs a little maintenance, as I imagine the intention was to point the front of the bike upward.
I captured Whale Rock Reservoir from the same vantage point as last time; the Pacific was not visible today, but the bush in the foreground was in bloom.
After the first crest, a sign warned “watch downhill speed.” [So noted.] On a bike, though, it's advisable to keep your eyes on the road, not your bike computer. It was a fast section (my stats suggest a top speed around 37 mph).
There was nothing memorable about the pavement in 2018, but it was creamy fresh now—a joy to ride.

Although my ride buddy recommended it would be fine to descend Santa Rosa Creek Road, I was unconvinced; I have vivid memories of a road in terrible condition (not to mention a steep climb, whichever way you tackle it). And oh, gosh darn, it was actually closed to through traffic today. Let's hope they're repaving it.

We regrouped at the summit on Highway 46, where I took the traditional photo. [Recall that we started our ride essentially at sea level.] The clouds were moving in; we felt lucky for the blue skies we'd enjoyed this morning.

After a quick pit stop at our motel, we hopped back on our bikes for the short trip into town. After completing 40 miles with something short of 3,000 feet of climbing, a slice of olallieberry pie would tide me over nicely until dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment