July 1, 2022

Coalition Coffee

Our regional bicycle coalition has reached out a few times, seeking to engage with local bike clubs. Normally I couldn't get involved, as they always want to meet up on weekdays. My “summer vacation” presented a rare opportunity.
I suggested that we might attract a few folks from our club if we met for coffee in one of the smaller towns or neighborhoods (as opposed to downtown San Jose), as we're not really urban cyclists.

My expectations were low—I thought I might be the only participant. Much to my surprise, four other cyclists turned out.

The conversation played out more or less as I anticipated. The coalition's mission is to get people using bikes for utilitarian trips (e.g., errands, commuting); our club is about riding recreationally, in groups. Sure, some of our members do ride their bikes solo for more than just staying fit or having fun; but that is not our purpose. The coalition is an advocate for infrastructure that we don't use (and sometimes even avoid).

I raised a few of my pet peeves (to no beneficial effect): Bike lanes that get created with much fanfare and then not maintained, like the stretch on Highway 9 between Los Gatos and Saratoga that has been narrowed to about 8 inches (swallowed by the encroaching hillside). Protected lanes, bordered by curbs or dotted with bollards, that leave no room to dodge an obstacle or to pass a slower cyclist—and which gradually accumulate piles of leaves and litter.

They did talk about an upcoming initiative with the local water authority, which is seeking creative ways to help the public appreciate our dwindling reserves during the drought. Our rides frequent many of the local reservoirs and creeks, so I offered to help put together some routes. I reminded them, though, that getting near any of our reservoirs will likely involve more elevation gain than the average casual cyclist could manage.

My return route passed some percolation ponds (a couple of which are completely dry); there is still water flowing in the creek. In the end, this was an opportunity to complete a utilitarian bike ride (13 miles, less than 300 feet of climbing), to be social, and to enjoy a slice of marble pound cake. [In no particular order.]

No comments:

Post a Comment