July 16, 2021

Coming Attractions

Organized cycling events, still, remain rare. Last year, I reacted to plans for the Fall River Century with raised eyebrows. They went ahead, apparently successfully, despite the risks.

This year, being fully vaccinated, I floated the idea past my chief biking buddy.

“Let's go!” We knew it couldn't be as magical as our original visit, but we were okay with that. (Has it really been seven years?! Where does the time go?)

We returned to McArthur-Burney Falls Memorial State Park and hiked the waterfall loop.

A chance encounter with a volunteer sent us down a trail to the historic Pioneer Cemetary.

The revelation, for me, was Lake Britton. Next time (if there is a next time), I'm packing a swimsuit and a towel.

After searching for other local attractions we headed for the fish hatchery (why not?), only to find it closed.

Wandering around the giant creatures at Packway Materials, however, might have been more fun than the fish. A Tin Man, a flying (VW) bug, even a penguin!

Of course, the menagerie wouldn't be complete without a bona fide junkyard dog. (Yes, there is a small pile of ... rocks beneath his hind end.)

They're not promoted as a local attraction, but obviously worth a visit!

I also had time to explore the eclectic collection of artifacts in buildings on the grounds of the Fort Crook Museum, and absorb some of the local history. I stood in a cabin that had housed a pioneer family, appreciating that it was smaller than my motel room. Maybe even smaller than a modern “tiny house.” A bed for sleeping, a fireplace for cooking, and not much else.

The landmark round barn, I learned, was designed for training horses for the cavalry, in winter. Ingenuity.

No comments:

Post a Comment