June 21, 2014

Six-Pack

Stone Cooler at Pine Ridge, Henry Coe State Park, Morgan Hill, CA
Last year, I set a new personal record for the number of times I commuted to work by bicycle. New year, new goals.

In the morning, I can bike to a shuttle bus and step off in front of my office (door-to-door, typically 60-65 minutes). Or I can simply bike the whole distance (typically 85-90 minutes). Don't get me wrong—I am extremely grateful for that shuttle. But I rather like being on my bicycle more.

In anticipation of a hard ride each Saturday, it was my habit to “save my legs” by riding the bus on Fridays. Until I reached a certain level of fitness [thanks to all that cycling], and realized that a Friday ride really didn't set me back.

Golden hillside, oak trees, and distant ranges viewed from Dunne Ave, Morgan Hill, CA
A steady breeze and high thin layer of clouds made for a perfect day to head for Henry Coe State Park. I remember visiting this park for a hike many years ago, and thinking that cycling up there from the valley was crazy, or impossible, or both.

Which leads me to today: my sixth consecutive day of cycling. Up Thomas Grade. Up Dunne Avenue. Fourteen miles to the picnic table at the visitor center.
From out of the hills would come the peace of one's soul and food for the power of thought.
Sada Coe Robinson donated the ranch to Santa Clara County, for a park. A few years later, it became a state park.

Distant valleys of the Diablo Range from Pine Ridge, Henry Coe State Park, Morgan Hill, CA
I earned that view, with some 3,400 feet of climbing over 28 miles (out and back). Wrapping up the week with 12 bike rides, covering 225 miles with 8,250 feet of climbing.

Thank you, Sada. Admiring your beloved hills from Pine Ridge does bring peace to my soul, every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment