April 22, 2013

Anything Goes Commute Challenge: Solo Bike Trip

Biking to work is a commitment. Even though I have the luxury of loading myself and my bicycle onto a shuttle bus at the end of the day, I prefer to cycle home. The round trip translates into some 40 miles and 1,000 feet of hill climbing.

To while away the time, I usually count my fellow cyclists along the way: kids on their way to school, adults on their way to work or just out for a nice ride. Today was unseasonably warm; for the first few miles, I saw surprisingly few cyclists. By the time I rolled up to my building, I had counted 60—that’s higher than I remember for a morning commute (with the exception of Bike to Work Day).

The Stats:

Route: surface streets, bike/pedestrian trail
Distance: 18.6 miles
Elapsed time: 98:16
Average moving speed: 12.4 mph
Exercise time: 90:37
Reading/relaxing time: 0
Bliss factor: 6
Cost per trip: $0.93
Enables: Exercise, errand, Plus3Network and company-sponsored fundraising for charity, two breakfasts.
I needed to pick up some photos today, and when more neurons started firing over breakfast I realized I could do that on the way to work, with barely a detour. With no place to secure the bike in front of the store, I rolled it inside with me.

I have optimized my route over the years to make it safer and more direct. The Bliss factor would be higher if I did not have to contend with a few busy stretches of roadway, and if there were fewer clueless joggers, dog-walkers, and cyclists on the trail.

Once at the office, the first order of business is my second breakfast. Without that, I would bonk later in the morning. The next order of business is to shower and change into street clothes; I keep an extra pair of shoes at the office to minimize what I need to carry on the bike. When I get to my desk, I am energized for the day. More and more research has shown the beneficial influence of exercise on the brain, explaining why I feel more alert (and definitely not tired) after propelling myself to work.

Our company has a generous “self-powered commuting” incentive program. Each time I cycle to work, I earn credits that turn into dollars donated annually by the company to the charity of my choice. Last year, that amounted to more than $200 ... but I can do better.

Note to self
: Must bike to work more often.

1 comment:

  1. I love your incentive program “self-powered commuting”. I believe cycle to work is great. Employees will improve their health, save money and everyone involved will be doing their bit for the environment.

    ReplyDelete