September 10, 2012

Le Grand Départ

Bike disassembled and packed, bags packed ... less than 24 hours after returning home from the Best Buddies century, I was on my way to the airport. Destination: France.

I caught a shuttle to the Millbrae BART station. After hauling everything up and down two elevators to cross platforms, I learned that there was no direct service to SFO. To reach the airport, one must board a northbound train to the next station, then transfer to a southbound train headed for the airport.

You can see the airport from here. Bay Area Rapid Transit? Not.

I hailed a cab.

Later the next day, I was surprised to see my oversized bike bag pop off the conveyor belt onto the luggage carousel in Marseille. I was equally surprised not to see my tiny suitcase, despite both bags having been tagged with red "priority" labels by the airline.

My decision to spend the first night near the airport had been a fortuitous one.

The hotel took good care of me, from the brilliant design of the air conditioner in my room to the pain au chocolat for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment