June 5, 2010

View from a Bridge

By the time I reached the summit of Metcalf Road on this blue-sky morning, I was soaking wet. Was it only two weeks ago that I was clad in wool and long tights? At the end of our ride, the still-broad expanse of Coyote Creek looked very inviting.

When the ride's original leader sent word that she needed a substitute today, I stepped forward. It turned out that my job was particularly easy: among the six cyclists who joined me were two members who had also volunteered to lead the ride. What a vibrant bike club!

Our amiable bunch required little management on my part. We naturally climb and descend at varying paces, and everyone waited willingly at key points for all to reassemble.

Despite the county park's wealth of warnings about mountain lions, wild pigs, rattlesnakes, ticks, and poison oak, coyote scat was the only hint of wildlife I saw. It was so quiet in the San José outback, though, that I could hear the cattle munching.

Somewhere along the way, my air-cooled speed peaked at 41.9 mph. The steep hairpins near the base of Metcalf command my full respect. The heat of the day and the end of a stressful week commanded a late-afternoon nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment