June 27, 2010

Spreading Sunshine

Someday, when I look back at all of this, I know I will remember the faces of so many little boys pressed against the windows of passing cars. One scolded by his father for nearly climbing out of his car seat, trying to get a better look.

Fueling up today, I was approached by two fellow customers. This was not unusual. Both of them were women—that was unusual. The first question: How fast have you driven it? Have you wound it all the way out?

Truth be told, I am really rather shy. I am not adept at talking to strangers. Needless to say, "shy" is not exactly compatible with driving about in a conspicuous car.

Today's excursion had a little bit of everything. Wide-eyed children in passing cars on the freeway. Adults snapping photos with cellphones. Scenic, curvy, rural California roads. Motorists who pulled aside, unbidden, to give me the road.

An approaching motorcyclist tipped me to a patrol car lying in wait ahead. With four or five sedans and SUVs in my wake, I cruised past at a respectable speed. Another patrol car just happened to appear as I rolled into town. 25 mph? Watch me. I can do 25 mph.

At my halfway point, I was tempted to turn around and enjoy the same route back home. Sensing that I had exhausted my karma with the local authorities, I opted for the freeway instead.

An unexpected dividend earned through hundreds of cycling trips: How to get home on back roads. The freeway was boring (and jammed). Coastal views, curvy roads, redwood trees.

Another of my shortcomings: I do not enjoy driving long distances. Any trip over an hour and I start to feel drowsy. Evidently, in this I have been granted an exemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment