June 12, 2010

Some is Better than None

Another view from a bridge—this week, of a solo rower on the Lexington Reservoir.

This morning, the spirit was willing; the body ... not so much. Had I not committed to meet up with a ride partner, I simply would have stayed at home. I considered showing up in street clothes to explain and apologize.

My original plan for the day was to ride up and over the Santa Cruz Mountains to the coast with a group, have lunch at the beach, and then head back up and over the mountains. The climb to the summit is gentle, and I guessed that I could make it that far today no matter how crummy I felt.

Spinning uphill in the redwood forest felt better than I expected, but I did take it easy. The descent was so smooth I was almost lured into repeating the climb just to glide back down. I did the prudent thing instead, and climbed back into my car. Ten miles of cycling (half of it uphill) was far better than sitting at home feeling sick and sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather. You were wise to take it easy given the hot weather. We're still in June and there will be plenty of long days to ride ahead!

    ReplyDelete