June 17, 2010

Oxymorons on Hicks

There are a couple of approaches to this view at the summit of Hicks Road, which was particularly striking in the warm glow of early evening. The climb from the Los Gatos side is painfully steep, and I was grateful that we were not taking that route. Instead, we were taking the easier route, climbing Hicks from the San Jose side. Which is ... painfully steep. From The Complete Guide to Climbing (By Bike) in California:
After a shallow start, this side of Hicks Road contains one of the steepest miles in the state.
I had the uncommon opportunity to be home from work early enough to join one of the club's regular after-work rides. With the summer solstice just a few days away, tonight's ride could be a long one. Facing that tough climb, I had some doubts about whether I could pedal fast enough to stay with the group and finish before the sun set. When I lost them on the flats, I would catch them at a traffic light. When they regrouped at a key intersection, I would keep pedaling for a head start on the next hill. I used every downhill to pull ahead, so the group would not have to wait too long for me at the top of the next hill.

I managed to cover 27.8 miles, ascending 2,170 feet along the way. My maximum downhill speed was 39.3 mph, while my minimum uphill speed was ... well, let's not go there. [Okay, okay ... 3.2 mph.] All in a day's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment