January 29, 2022

Social Climbers

Varying paces separated us on the road, but we'd mostly regroup at the usual places alongside the Calaveras Reservoir.

The landscape is healing, but another prolonged dry spell is fast fading the emerald hills to olive.

While everyone else was keen to continue to a cafe in Sunol (which turned out to be closed), my chief ride buddy and I split off into the Sunol Regional Wilderness, as is our habit.

The park was so busy I wondered whether they were offering free admission. (For vehicles, that is; there is no “parking fee” for cyclists.)

Another lucky reward for our visit to this park: a nice spiral-bound copy of the guidebook for their annual Trails Challenge. Their 29th annual Trails Challenge. Being denizens of the South Bay, we had no idea!

I climbed 2,780 feet over 36 miles using nothing but human pedal-power. There were at least four people in our group on electric bikes today; to my surprise, I'm beginning to find that dispiriting. I'm excited to have the company of folks who otherwise wouldn't be riding, but I'm feeling irked by others whose goal seems to be to zip ahead.

Stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment