April 4, 2021

Bernal Beckons

It was too beautiful a day not to ride. I hopped on my bike in the afternoon and pedaled in search of poppies in their prime. I knew I could find some at the base of Bernal, but along the way I found a better patch.

Along the way I pondered whether to climb Bernal. [Or, not.]

My legs complained as I climbed Shannon. Yesterday's ride wasn't hard, but evidently it was hard enough.

Pretty patch of poppies found, I could have turned around. [Of course not.]

Go the distance, I told myself. [To the base of Bernal.]

There, came the moment of reckoning. How silly, not to go up the hill. It's not that far, I told myself.

I can take it easy, I told myself.

April ascent of Bernal, done: 29 miles, 1,280 feet of climbing. And, oddly enough, a new personal best time for the climb (by a whopping 44 seconds?!). [So much for tired legs.]

No comments:

Post a Comment