May 30, 2020

Spring Squall

With thundershowers in the forecast, my ride buddy and I scrapped our plans. Being exposed on the flanks of Mt. Hamilton would not be prudent.

The morning was dry, though I could see patches of precipitation on the weather radar. And I did rather want to ride.

Because I did, after all, have a goal: one more selfie to complete my personal bike bingo challenge.

I headed for a Saturday farmers' market in a nearby town. Should I make a (hillier) loop of it, or a longer (flatter) ride by tracing an out-and-back? I turned right for the longer option, and ... seeing no traffic in sight I made a spontaneous u-turn. Hillier, it would be.

The market was big and bustling; I stayed clear of the perimeter. I needed only a photo; no produce, today.

I'd felt the occasional sprinkle, until (just a couple of miles from home) I was caught in a downpour. [Payback for claiming it wouldn't rain again until the fall.] I could have found a spot to wait it out, but the words of a wise man echoed in my head: You will not melt.

Should I take the usual route, cutting through the park? It should be empty, given the weather. [It wasn't. But I would have avoided the trails anyway.] A simple 11 mile loop with 460 feet of climbing.

Into each life, some rain must fall. [And I didn't melt.]

No comments:

Post a Comment