February 22, 2020

Roadside Picnic

The acacias were in bloom, offering an occasional spot of cheer on today's climb.

It's been nearly four years since I paid my dues on this road.

A wary doe eyed me before sprinting up the hillside, but otherwise I was the only creature in sight after most of the group passed me.

Did I really climb this, once, in less than 63 minutes? [Yes.] That was then, this is now (94 minutes), including 2+ minutes of walking. I wasn't really suffering—the grade isn't steep enough for that. But after the first 3+ miles (and 1400+ feet of ascent), a lapse of attention brought me perilously close to the edge of the pavement. Getting my concentration back, by walking for a stretch, seemed prudent.

Someone with a sense of humor tacked a sign to a tree. [In truth, you're not “almost there,” but it made me smile.]

I was surprised not to see the rest of the group descending long before I reached the top. I hoped they weren't waiting for me. Or for our birthday boy, the ride leader, who trailed somewhere below me. [I did wait for his triumphant arrival.]

With the top at 3,045 feet, it was chilly. [Duh, it's February.] The wind picked up speed as some fog rolled in, making for a cold descent. If only I'd thought to bring long-fingered gloves ...

The desent is a quick one; I had deliberately chosen not to bring the fast bike today, with this descent in mind.

The ride ended where it began, at the side of the road, but now with a pop-up picnic to celebrate our leader's milestone birthday. As he lamented what he's lost as he's gotten older, I reminded him that precious few of his age cohort could even consider biking up Soda Springs Road. [Or any road, for that matter. Seriously.]

I rode 17 miles, with 3,020 feet of climbing. When you consider that this route is an out-and-back, what came down must have gone up ... that means I climbed 3,020 in 8.5 miles. How slowly I did that, matters not to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment