May 6, 2016

Mostly Monterey

Yellow flowers in bloom near Fishermans' Wharf, Monterey, California
Our team had an overnight getaway to a most familiar area, Monterey. I passed on stand-up paddleboarding or biking; although I have paddled around in kayaks, I had never kayaked in the bay.

My partner had no experience, but he did have one valuable qualification: upper body strength. The outfitter set us up with waterproof pants and life vests; I had chosen the right shirt (quick-drying, long-sleeved) but was reluctant about going barefoot. It was a gloomy day; luckily my feet didn't get too cold.

Kayaks on Monterey Bay under looming gray clouds, Monterey, California
The skies were ominous, but the rain held off until just after we returned to shore.

It was also a windy day. Two people managed to tip their kayak; unable to climb back on, they clung to it and were towed back to the beach.

Our guides tried to keep us near the shore; the wind was determined to push us out to sea. We got rather close to the pair of yellow buoys that mark the seawater intake for the Monterey Bay Aquarium—which, when viewed from land ... are quite a ways out there.

Many sea lions hauled out on rocks, Monterey, California
We saw an otter with her pup, lots of seagulls and cormorants, the occasional pelican, seals and sea lions both curious and indifferent. Like otters, we used the kelp to anchor oursselves.

Young sea lion on a rock, Monterey, California
On Friday morning, I persuaded a couple of co-workers to take a stroll before the group would head back to the (other) Bay Area. I spotted a curlew and an otter, and we peered from above at the sea lions we'd observed from the water yesterday. Eager to get back to the hotel on time, an Uber driver was summoned. Not only did he give us a ride, he dispensed souvenirs: original labels from the Hovden Cannery (site of the Monterey Bay Aquarium). I was tagging along on my first Uber ride, and they told me this souvenir thing is not typical. Not at all. But it was sweet.

Historic red label for Portola Brand Pilchards, Hovden Cannery, Monterey, California
My plan was to stay one more night. How should I spend the rest of my day?

I could bike, having brought my bike along.

The whale-watching boats were enticing.

Another colleague planned to hike at Point Lobos.

The afternoon, however, was more wet than not. I decided to drive over to Carmel Valley, to scout the unfamiliar part of the route I planned to ride tomorrow (weather permitting). The terrain was steeper and more remote than I had anticipated. Perhaps the rainy forecast was doing me a favor ...

Silvery Lookdown fish, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Monterey, California
I finished the day with a short visit to the Aquarium, bustling on this weekday with students on field trips and tourists alike. Nonetheless, at the end of the day it was possible to find a few quiet galleries for peaceful reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment