May 15, 2016

Berry Berry Nice

Strawberry Fields Forever is one of my favorite local cycling events. When a few riders today asked me how many times I've ridden it, I honestly didn't know. [Seven.]

Coastal view of Monterey Bay toward Santa Cruz from La Selva, California
Calfee shares their space with us for the first rest stop, where we traditionally find Italian fare (including espresso machines) and a view of Monterey Bay. But no strawberries.

Row upon row of strawberry plants near Watstonville, California
The course passes through agricultural fields of greens (and strawberries). Acres and acres of strawberries. It's a humbling sight, at scale; appreciate the human effort that brings these to your table.

Elkhorn Slough, Elkhorn, California
In the first few miles I worked to get some separation from a pair of boys (and their well-meaning parents). I applaud them for tackling a 100 km route, but their road and bike-handling skills were dodgy (at best). By the time I reached the Elkhorn Slough, I was riding in near solitude.

Cyclists, bicycles, and apple bins at Gizdich Ranch
Extended climbs took their toll on unprepared riders, especially leading up to the lunch stop. Some walked. A few were sprawled, napping, on the lawn. I was disappointed at lunch this year. Note to all event organizers: Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches should be prepared by people who eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, because they will actually put peanut butter and jelly on the bread. Luckily, I knew that the next rest stop, at Gizdich Ranch, would feed me well. No crêpes this year (sadly), but plenty of apple pie and fresh-squeezed lemonade and apple juice.

Tray of fresh strawberries, bowls of chocolate ganache and whipped cream.
The strawberries (with chocolate ganache and freshly whipped cream) are last. It's important not to gorge at the post-ride meal, to save room for the berries. Lots of berries. Big beautiful red-ripe berries.

More than 60 cliff swallows swooping in a courtyard at Pajaro Valley High School, Watsonville, California
Pajaro Valley High School was built at the edge of the wetlands. Cliff swallows have established themselves in the eaves of most buildings. They're fascinating (but, messy). When I paused to observe their comings and goings, closer than they would have liked, most of the community took flight—swooping and swerving, at high speed, all around me.

This being the usual route, I cycled some 61 miles with 2,865 feet of climbing. I aimed to complete the course in under five hours (not including breaks, of course)—and I did. In fact, I finished in the second-shortest time of my seven rides, much to my surprise.

It was fitting, somehow, to tackle this ride without a ride buddy today. In addition to the seven rides I've completed, there were four I didn't start. Two were rainy days, and well, I just don't feel compelled to ride in the rain. But on this ride, I will always reflect on the losses that kept me away last year, and the year before. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment