August 24, 2013

Up Grade

Street, road, avenue ... what's in a name? Nothing dramatic.

Boulevard? Expansive, with lots of trees.

Big Basin Redwoods State Park sign at the top of China Grade
Grade? This one is not uncommon in the western U.S. It means ... prepare to suffer. Uphill climb that is long or steep. Or both.

I have been (bicycle) commuting to work more often, and my legs are feeling stronger. It was time for a test—a torture test, some would say.

First up, China Grade. Climb more than 1,000 feet in 2.2 miles. My heart rate peaked at 180 bpm, my speed dropped as low as 3.1 mph, but I reached the top without pausing.

Old wooden building decorated with vehicle license plates and other signs
Next, pass through Big Basin Redwoods State Park (California's oldest). I slowed for a caravan of backpackers crossing the road, and later for some campers tossing a Frisbee back and forth in the middle of CA 236. Deep in the redwoods, I guess it is easy to forget that a state highway passes through the park.

pep with bicycle on Empire Grade at the top of Jamison Creek Road
Last up, Jamison Creek Road: Climb more than 1,400 feet in 3 miles. This one is intimidating; like China Grade, I had never before attempted it. My legs still felt strong, but having already completed 3,200 feet of climbing I had no reservations about pausing. My heart rate peaked at 179 bpm, my speed dropped to 3.1 mph, and I stopped three times to recover. When four motorcycles came flying down the hill, recklessly over the double yellow line in the center of my lane, I congratulated myself for a well-placed recovery break. I was off the road.

41 miles, 4,620 feet of climbing. I chose not to join the rest of the group on Empire Grade. Enough is enough.

1 comment:

  1. Oakville Grade in Sonoma and Pacific Grade in the Sierra certainly made an impression on me. The former is a 20+%-grade that occurred on a century ride at about mile 80. The latter is 24% in stretches and caused none other than Franz K. to curse out loud!

    ReplyDelete