August 7, 2013

The Ruination of Bay Area Roads

Contrast between smooth pavement and coarse chip seal.
N.B. A slurry seal has since been applied to the packed gravel described in this post. While still unpleasant, these local roads are rideable again.
Why is it so difficult to maintain the roads in the Bay Area? The problem is not the weather.

Some roads that have been the mainstay of my homeward-bound commute have been rendered nearly unrideable this week.

That rocky surface in the upper half of my photo? It looks like a base layer, ready for paving—but it is not. That is the fresh road surface. The grainy surface in the lower half of my photo? That is what is left of the old, smooth surface (near the curb).

The new surface feels like packed gravel. [It is packed gravel, essentially.] It is wretched. Abominable. Appallingly bad. Pity the local residents who now endure the din from the tires on passing cars and trucks.

Does the town blindly accept the lowest bid? Are there no specifications? Why is this material being used, when the problem is well known? The coarser the rock, the longer it takes for weighty vehicles to wear it down. Lightweight bicycles, with skinny tires will never wear it down.
Smooth bicycle lane on a road outside Aix-en-Provence, France
The French understand this. I enjoyed the best road cycling surface, ever, outside Aix-en-Provence last fall.

Like the pros avoiding cobblestones in Europe, tonight I headed straight for the (smooth) gutter, next to the curb. Where feasible (and not prohibited), I chose to ride on the sidewalk. I explored some unfamiliar neighborhoods, seeking a new twist on my time-tested route that will keep me off the rocks without adding much distance.

Unfortunately, there will be no alternate route to avoid this legendary mess in a few weeks on Highway 1, on my way to San Simeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment