February 17, 2013

Unwelcome Mat

The top of the hill on Bernal Road is a great vantage point for views across the valley—Mt. Umunhum and the Santa Cruz Mountains to the west, and Mt. Hamilton and the Diablo Range to the east. Not to mention IBM's Almaden Research Center, tucked against the hillside. It had been our custom to ride as far as the guard house and gate before turning back, but apparently even cyclists are not welcome to traverse that last 400 feet of precious private pavement.

When I woke up this morning, I decidedly felt the effects of yesterday's outing. I convinced myself that I really would feel better if I got back on the bike. Really.

That turned out to be true, with liberal use of low gears on the hill climbs. [Yes, of course, there must be hill climbs.] I added a pair of hills and some distance, for good measure, by riding to (and from) our starting point: thirty-one miles, with a mere 1600 feet of climbing.

Wintry weather will return next week. It is February, after all; the acacia trees are in full flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment