February 9, 2013

Green Acres

Dress warmly to enjoy the rolling green vistas along Calaveras Road; the peak months of the rainy season are cold, and the hills block the low angle of the winter's sun.

Heading east on the lower section of the climb, I thought of Sierra Road's steeper ascent of this slope a few miles to the south. I will need to be in better shape before I tackle that, this season.

The level of the reservoir is lower than I have ever seen it, as the water district works to replace the old dam. Lying along the roadside were some new utility poles, waiting to be erected near the site of this massive construction project.

Our 50 mile route passed through the tiny town of Sunol to explore some new territory, Kilkare Woods. The dead-end road climbs gently along Sinbad Creek, and despite the variety of architectural styles and vintages, there was a strong sense of community there. We passed a noisy flock of turkeys midway up the road, and several (human) families strolling along the upper section.

Returning to Sunol, I was happy to enjoy my lunch at a sunny picnic table in the Sunol Community Park. This little gem is tucked alongside the railroad tracks; until today, I had never even noticed it. At the entrance, a small sculpture sets the mood for an exuberant romp in the park.

I took advantage of a head start on the rest of the group to avoid trailing the pack on our return to San José. Along the way, I was impressed with the behavior of two drivers. An SUV was in a position to overtake me, just as a small oncoming car appeared in the middle of the narrow road. I thrust out my left arm to signal "wait" to the driver behind me; the approaching car froze in place. Moments later, the SUV safely passed me; the driver (a woman) gave me a friendly toot on the horn and waved.

The second courteous driver was a man in a sizable pickup truck who caught up to me on the fast descent of lower Calaveras. With a couple of cars behind him, he allowed me a generous and steady lead, even when he might have pulled out to pass. Perhaps he gave me some respect for traveling close enough to the speed limit and appreciated that he would gain little by passing me?

No comments:

Post a Comment