April 1, 2012

Ped Power

There were plenty of soggy Cinderellas yesterday, but I was not among them. With strong winds and a 100% chance of rain, I stayed indoors.

I was looking forward to biking on one of my favorite roads today, but that plan fell apart. Short on sleep, I was not up for an early-morning start some 65 miles away.

Still, I could not waste such a gorgeous day. I set out, on foot, to polish off some errands. Herewith, I share some sunny Sunday afternoon mysteries.

  • When pulling over to fuss with your navigation system, why would you choose to block the entrance to the local police operations center?
  • Behind the wheel of an Audi R8, why would you choose to drive through Vasona Park?
  • Out for a stroll, why would you choose to carry three identical pens in the pocket of your Hawaiian shirt?

    The park was teeming with people, and the trail was as chaotic as ever. People strolling, roller-blading, cycling. Dogs on long leashes. Kids on scooters. I intervened to help a dad who was struggling to moderate, simultaneously, the downhill speed of one child on a plastic trike and one child in a stroller.

    Canada geese are a year-round nuisance, making a mess of the fields. One scofflaw's [off-leash] little dog gave them a run, but the effect was fleeting. Send in the coyotes!

    I felt like royalty, commanding traffic to obey my every whim. Press the big button and post haste, all the drivers endure a long red light while the walk signal counts down. Pedestrians rule in California.

    Errands accomplished: 7.7 miles, four stores, one ATM machine, one county park, and lots of sunshine.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment