March 26, 2012

Slow Motion

The force [of laziness] is strong in this one.
I feel tired.
You got plenty of sleep, it is time to get up.
I don't want to.
It is so easy, you laid out everything last night.
It's 39 degrees!
Wear wool.

After two consecutive rainy weekends, if I did not bike to work today it seemed doubtful that I could complete the Cinderella Classic next Saturday. Now, how silly would that be? It is sad enough that I am not in shape for the Challenge course.

By the time I failed to talk myself out of riding today, I was running 30 minutes behind schedule. Which means contending with more rush-hour traffic.

It was a good ride nonetheless. Slow, but good. Breakfast was still feasible when I arrived, but the biggest surprise was the shower upgrade. Two stalls! Plus, two private unisex stalls. [I know what you're thinking ... keep it clean.] As you might imagine, one shower stall for all the women in a four-story building was less than adequate.

Then again, on the east coast I last worked in a building designed with women's restrooms on every other floor. (Decades later, they repurposed some of the men's restrooms when scientists came to outnumber secretaries.) How times have changed.

At the end of the day, my ride home was the . slowest . ever. It wasn't enough that my fitness has eroded, or that I was tired, or that the ride home is all uphill? Noooo. The weather is changing, and the approaching storm front blasted me with headwind. At times it felt like I was pedaling just enough to keep from moving backward.

When I paused to admire the wildflowers near the Mary Avenue Bicycle Bridge, a passing cyclist asked if I needed anything. [Turn off the wind? Slow down and let me draft you? Better yet, tow me home?] "No, I'm okay."

For the day, 39 miles and about 965 feet of climbing. Sixty-plus miles on Saturday? Er, sure, no problem ...

No comments:

Post a Comment