June 29, 2024

Giro Bello

Waiting for my chief cycling buddy to roll into the rest stop, I eavesdropped on a conversation nearby. One of the ride ambassadors (people who cycle along the course to assist others or summon help) was recounting his battery-related woes. Riding without route navigation because his bike computer hadn't been fully charged and ran out of juice. Stuck riding in one (challenging) gear because he forgot to charge the battery powering his electronic shifters, which ran out of juice. The other guy suggested that he should let the air out of his tires for a real challenge.

Ha, I resemble that remark. [Unintentionally.]

I'd heard the distinctive hiss of a rapidly deflating tire. I hadn't ridden through any (visible) debris. My front tire looked fine. I neglected to check the rear. Why was I working so hard yet going so slow? Lack of fuel? Lack of fitness? [Spoiler alert: a tiny wire fragment.]

I hung my bike on a rack at the lunch stop, and for no particular reason, squeezed the rear tire. It was utterly flat. Looking at my ride stats, I plodded along on that deflated tire for about two miles. No one else had noticed, either—I'm sure they would have said something.

I couldn't budge the quick-release lever, which was way too tight after I'd had the bike serviced recently. Spare tube in hand, I rolled the bike over to the mechanic's tent, grateful that I wouldn't have to struggle to replace the tube. “No problem,” he said. “Get your lunch, and keep your spare tube; I have tubes.” Ah, the perks of a supported ride!

Many organizations host bike events to raise funds for charitable causes, big and small. Today's was run by the Rotary Club of Santa Rosa, with routes similar to the Wine Country Century. [But on a much smaller scale.]

There are a few iconic, must-stop photo ops along this route. That barn. The Wohler Bridge over the Russian River.
I first crossed this bridge in 2003 on day two of Waves to Wine, raising funds to support the work of the National MS Society. I've crossed it many times since, almost always capturing a shot of my bike on the bridge. Now I have an action photo!
I'd chosen to wear my favorite Waves to Wine jersey, the one that invariably gets questions from other riders. Yes, Waves to Wine still happens (in September), though sadly this scenic route is no longer a part of it.

Such a nice ride, on a beautiful day—giro bello! Sixty-six miles and about 3,000 feet of climbing up and down the back roads of Sonoma County.

No comments:

Post a Comment