October 17, 2023

Walk and Talk

Are you busy? [No.] Want to go for a walk? [Sure.]

Thus began an impromptu visit to the Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve (not a neighborhood stroll).

I've taken in this view from Bald Mountain before, but now I can recognize more than rolling hills and the sprawl of south San Jose: I realized that I could see the Rotary Furnace and nearby structures, below and to the right of the bare rock face in Almaden Quicksilver County Park.
The road to the summit of Mt. Umunhum had been closed when we arrived, but we found it open after our short “hike” and decided to drive up for the view.
I wouldn't have the patience to wait around for the lighting to be “just so,” to catch the afternoon sun briefly turning one narrow ridgeline golden. I just get lucky, sometimes.

There was one more treat in store for us. From the parking lot, we'd walked up the road; to return, we took the stairs. Of all places, we did not expect to meet a snake there!

For the warmth? Best as we could tell, this was a Santa Cruz Gartersnake. (Not dangerous.)

However often you might return to a place, there is always something new to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment