July 13, 2023

Make It Better

The power went out at 6:15 a.m. Our utility company had notified us repeatedly (as recently as last night, via robocall) that they would be replacing a nearby pole and the power would be off for four or five hours ... starting at 10:00 a.m. [Um, in what timezone?]

I got dressed and walked down the street to chat with the workers. [I wasn't the first resident they'd met.]

I'd planned to while away the outage at our local library, but their doors wouldn't open for several more hours. So, what now?

Well, there's nothing like a bike ride to improve my mood. Might as well make a day of it. (The power came on again, shortly before I departed; presumably other customers called the company and explained that “10 a.m.” means that the little hand is on the “10” (not on the “6”). I continued with my plan.

I headed directly toward the San Tomas Aquino Creek Trail, following it to the Bay. With only myself to amuse, I indulged my budding amateur naturalist's curiosity, stopping as often as I pleased.

So many birds! Including my first green heron.

I chose a bench on the shoreline to enjoy my sandwich, then cruised past buildings I am no longer privileged to enter.

What else might brighten my day? A fresh fruit tart! And I knew just where to find one, on my route home.

Next week will mark six months since my (former) employer voted me off their island. A friend recently asked how I'm adjusting to retirement.

“I've come to feel sorry for the people stuck in all those office buildings, sitting at their desks all day, day after day after day.” I'm relieved that I'm no longer one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment