May 8, 2023

Wild Flowers

I had been meaning to catch up with a former colleague for the past few months; today was the day!
We settled on a hike, and I suggested Santa Teresa County Park for the likelihood of wildflowers. With an eye on the ominous sky, she had wisely donned a rain jacket. (Fortunately for me, it barely drizzled on us.)

On a weekday, I've become accustomed to having a park to myself. This was the first time I've shared a trail here with horseback riders!

We also passed some artists in the brush. [Pun intended.]
Some kindred spirit had left a sticky-note on the park map near the trailhead, designating where the blooms would be found (and, the intel was spot-on).
We had fun trying to match the flowers we saw to the park's brochure. Without clues to size or foliage, that was often quite challenging. Serpentine leptosiphon struck us as the most peculiar name.
Here's looking at you, Liz(ard)! I would have missed you, were it not for the keen eye of my hiking buddy. A California Alligator Lizard, methinks.
We found patches of Checkerbloom,
Owl's Clover,
and Tomcat Clover.
My hiking companion and I were well-matched today, because ... if you aren't into wildflowers, you will likely be frustrated hiking with me when the bloom is on!
We covered about 4 miles and something under 800 feet of elevation gain, with lots of good conversation, flower appreciation, and one more Pix in the Parks along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment