March 3, 2023

Higher Up

The trail continues ... over there.

I was lured out for a Friday afternoon hike of uncertain length, mostly in the Rancho Cañada Del Oro Open Space Preserve. [Nearly 8 miles, with more than 1,200 feet of elevation gain, in all.]
We've been having some unusual weather, of late. Poppies in the foreground, snow-dusted ridge in the distance. [In the Bay Area?!]

Here's a closer look, which I captured a week ago. Snowfall at the top of Mt. Hamilton reportedly measured two feet.

When I paused to consider whether this vista was photo-worthy, I hadn't yet noticed the 22 degree halo. [It sealed the deal.]
It often seemed that our next vantage point was impossibly far ahead, but we kept trudging forward. Looking back, the ground we'd already traversed also seemed so far away. How fortunate we are to have these meadows and hills preserved, for all to enjoy.
Not to worry about the mud caked on our boots; my hiking companion helpfully reminded me that crossing the stream (again) would take care of that.

And so it did. [Stayed safe and dry, both times. Whew.]

No comments:

Post a Comment